Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Normandy Beaches

 Utah Beach
Utah Beach was the  westernmost, of the landing beaches during the D-Day Invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944. 



 Pointe du Hoc
 The site where some American soldiers undertook the nearly impossible task of climbing massive cliffs with little equipment during the American invasion of Normandy in 1944.
Another amazing place.
 Mike loves to read historic marker's

 Omaha Beach Memorial
 Omaha Beach
This beach was the primary point of landing on June 6, 1944, for the entry of American forces into France and saw some of the most intense fighting.


 This is our spiffy rental car.  It got us all around.
My favorite was the drives thru the countryside.
Made me want to move there....




  


 We stopped at McDonald's on our way home for the Cultural experience.

 They had a fancy playland..

 Potato Wedges
 and a Baguette Sandwich




The biggest excitment of the entire trip was finding a gas station in Paris.
Driving is crazy, the round abouts and cars everywhere.
Gas Stations are really pumps by the side of the road.
We endured and made it.
We were sooo glad to get back to the hotel!
It was a long day but a fabulous day.

I was not keen on going to Normandy, I was going along to "humor" Mike.
He really wanted to go, so okay...
Well it turned out to be my favorite day.
I loved the countryside,
I loved the amazing history that happened in these sights.
It was a very humbling trip.
It made me proud to be an American!



No comments: